Thursday, July 22, 2010

Islandista Top Chef's dream: opening Asian fusion restaurant in Bim

The dream is over for Barbadian Top Chef contestant Tamesha Warren.
At least her first dream of winning the $100 000 grand prize in Bravo's Top Chef.
Last night viewers saw her voted off by the judges and fellow chef-testants as her scallops with pickled rhubarb, cilantro, basil and long pepper in rhubarb jus was just too spicy for the diners - sounds like something Caribbean people would love though - seafood and plenty pepper!
However, Tamesha, who at 24, was the youngest contestant on this season's edition of the top-rated reality show, has another dream - opening her own restaurant in her native island.
Now that the show is over, the real action begins for the Deighton Griffith Secondary alumna as she is now free to make the media rounds and talk freely about the show, which is pre-taped and in one such interview with NBC New York, she revealed what she would have done with the big prize.
"If I had won the money, I would have put it aside to open up my own place in Barbados. I first wanted to travel to Asia because I'm in love with Asian food, but I'd like to do a Barbados fusion restaurant with Asian influences. I grew up there until I was 16. I try to go back every year since my grandmother who raised me still lives there. It would be formal dining. There’s a Japanese restaurant called Zen in one of our finest hotels [the Crane] and I was just surprised how many locals were there actually eating.
They're being exposed to cuisines from all over the world. That’s why I think my idea with fusion and Asian influence would be succesful. I don’t know if I want it to stand alone or be in a resort, either or would work.
Here's hoping that an angel investor takes notice of this islandista star and brings her back home to shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment